60th District Digest February 13
- Crossover was Tuesday, February 10 and we are now we are only debating Senate bills. The bills I introduced have all been approved by the House and are now in the Senate for debate.
- HB 2319: My bill to add a ninth member to the Halifax County Board of Supervisors was passed by the House (98-Y 2-N) and has been assigned to the Senate Committee on Local Government.
- My Scenic Dan River bill, HB 1507, has already been approved by the Senate Agriculture Committee and is in the full Senate now.
- My bills on the Virginia Battlefield Preservation Fund (HB2193) and State Park Master Plan (HB2226) have both been assigned to the Senate Agriculture Committee.
A couple of other important pieces of legislation that have implications in our district were heard and acted upon this week:
The House Budget was passed this week and included lots of good things to help out Virginia families. We have put forth a conservative budget this session and I believe we are putting money in the right place. We have increased state funding to give teachers and state employees a much needed pay raise. We have also given higher education a much needed boost and faculty should see a pay raise as well. Both chambers agree that these employees need a pay raise so whichever budget they chose, employees should see some kind of raise. Money has also been put aside to the Virginia rainy day fund to guard against future tax increases. Funding has also been given to seriously mentally-ill patients and a prescription drug benefit plan. The Governor's Opportunity Fund has also been given funding this should make Virginia more inviting for new businesses to move in.
HB 2330: The Bill to Reform the Tobacco Commission passed both the House and Senate this week. This bill requires the commission to contract a Manger to oversee how the money is being spent and also changes the number of appointments to the Commission. This new Manager would provide a written report regarding a project's feasibility before any money is allocated.
I encourage you to follow the actions of the General Assembly. Any legislation can be read in full on the Virginia General Assembly website, http://virginiageneralassembly.gov/. A wealth of additional information on the legislative process can also be found on this site. In addition, you can actually watch video for the House by clicking on the link in the right sidebar of my website.
OF LOCAL INTEREST:
- We learned this week that a couple affiliated with the STEPS Center in Farmville will be featured on TV's Shark Tank February 20, 2015! They will be promoting their Taaluma Totes products. I am very proud to be able to showcase the entrepreneurial spirit of the Heart of Virginia!
- I had many visitors from home this week, including the Project LEAD leadership group from Sentara Halifax Regional Health Systems, led by Rev. Vance Midgett; and Jason Meeks, Dempsey Jones, Kip Lafoon, Marshall Thackston, Linda Yoder and Patra Brady, a group of realtors from the Farmville area. Kyle Hart from Rice also visited.
Quote of the Day:
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."-Winston Churchill