60th District Digest Sept. 21
The Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission has announced an October 1, 2015 application deadline for the Agribusiness Grant Program.
Priority uses of Agribusiness grant funds include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting tobacco farmers in transitioning into alternative agriculture enterprises, including traditional and specialty crops and livestock, wood products, aquaculture, viticulture and other agricultural products.
- Assisting farmers with improved production techniques that result in increased profitability.
- Increasing net farm income.
- Expanding market opportunities for agricultural products, either through expansion of existing products and markets, or identification of new products and markets.
- Finding new ways to add value to agricultural products.
Pilot and demonstration programs that have the potential for transferability. All applications must be submitted through the Commission's new on-line applicant portal,
Good news for any organization or individual who is searching for grant opportunities!
The Commonwealth now has a new public resource for anyone interested in state, federal, and private funding opportunities. The website will serve as a hub to search for grant opportunities, it gives a better idea of how federal tax dollars are being spent, and highlights which grants present opportunities for state and local governments as well as private businesses and organizations. Please visit http://governor.virginia.gov/policy-priorities/grants/ for more information.
Interested in serving on a statewide committee?
The Speaker of the House of Delegates has announced that there are currently a few openings for citizens desiring to serve on statewide committees. If you are interested in serving on any of these three committees, please see the list below for further details.
Research & Technology Investment Advisory Committee (RTIAC) - http://www.cit.org/service-lines/rtiac/
- one citizen who shall have experience in financing emerging technology businesses
- one citizen who shall be a representative of an engineering firm
Community Integration Advisory Commission - http://studies.virginiageneralassembly.gov/studies/254
- One citizen with a disability
Center for Rural Virginia Board of Trustees - http://studies.virginiageneralassembly.gov/studies/147
Of Local Interest:
- My Tout the Teacher radio contest continues to serve up surprises for many hard working educators! Pictured above is one of the latest winners from Charlotte County, Kristen Duffer, as she was surprised with a $100 check. Looking on is Principal Sylvia Lockett. Keep those clicks and calls coming in to WHLF in South Boston and WFLO in Farmville!
- Kudos to the Charlotte County School System! Students in Charlotte County had the highest mean average in SAT scores in the Central Virginia area in critical reading, math and writing.
Quote of the Day:
"A good leader is a person who takes a little more than his share of the blame and a little less than his share of the credit." - John C. Maxwell